Translate

Saturday, June 26, 2010

What does Argentina vs Mexico mean to you?



Mexico vs Argentina is not just a highly charged game between the current favorite team and one that is inconsistent, at times playing great and falling flat the next.

To me this game is wrapped up in feelings that are polar opposites.

Argentina is my new home, my kids were born here, my wife and her family are from here; I have friends who are Argentine.

I also have family that lives in Mexico and I actually lived there as a little boy.

I was asked, who I would cheer for. I don't even know that response.

I can't plan who I am going to cheer the loudest for because that is asking me who I am planning on not cheering for.

My list of football countries is pretty short and in first place has been, and will most likely always be, the United States. After that, it has been Mexico,  Colombia and now I add Argentina.

10 years ago I would not even have hesitated. I would cheer for Mexico. Now that I eat, live, and breath Argentina, I am not so sure.

Something similar happened during the '94 World Cup when on the 22nd of June the USA faced what was then the pre-tournament favorite to win that year, Colombia. After 5 minutes I realized that this was going to be a great game and I had to leave the room and watch it by myself.

My dad is from Colombia and I just could not stand to sit there and yell out the USA goals in front of him.

The US turned out winning that game 2 to 1 and it was the game that would lead to Andres Escobar's tragic death.

It's going to be a little awkward. My head is with Argentina and my heart is with Mexico.

Whatever the outcome I will be glad for the team that passes through and saddened for the one that gets to go home.

To all my Argentine friends and family I wish you luck.

To all my Mexican friends and family I also wish you luck.

I will be somewhere in the middle enjoying and suffering at the same time.

No comments: