Translate

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving! From an Immigrant's Perspective.


Today we celebrate what was originally a successful undocumented immigration story. I myself am writing this 5,587 miles from my original birthplace of Chicago, so I too, am an immigrant.

Hoy celebramos lo que originalmente fue una migración indocumentada. Yo mismo estoy escribiendo esto a 8.992 km de distancia de mi ciudad natal de Chicago.

This gives me a unique perspective that I did not really have before. I mean, sure, within my family my own parents migrated to the USA many years ago, settled down, met and raised a family. So yes, there always was this link to immigration. But it is very different being told about it and actually living it yourself.

Esto me da una perspectiva que no tenia antes. Claro, dentro de mi propia familia, mis propios padres emigraron hacia EEUU hace muchos años, se conocieron, trabajaron, armaron su familia. Pero, es muy distinto que te lo cuenten a vivir-lo personalmente.

I find myself so far away from my original home, with the seasons flipped on their heads, or rather with me flipped on my head about the seasons. The seasons go about their business just like they have for millions of years.

Me encuentro a largas distancias de mi país natal con las temporadas dadas vueltas.

And I just realized that these Thanksgiving parties that we celebrate in a new land should be celebrated with people who already call this place home. Just like the pilgrims, I came to a foreign land, albeit with a little more knowledge of what to expect, and with legal documentation.

Y me doy cuenta que estas fiestas que celebramos en una tierra nueva (nueva para mi), debería ser celebrada con gente a quien ya llaman a la Argentina suya. Igual a los peregrinos, yo llegué a una tierra desconocida, pero con un poco más de información sobre lo que me esperaba (y con los papeles que correspondían).

However, I still needed help figuring out how things are done here; I needed help in getting a grasp of the language, the customs, etc.

Pero igual necesitaba ayuda en aprender como se hacían las cosas acá; necesitaba ayuda en aprender el idioma, las costumbres, etc.

So yes, aside from being grateful to my family and friends; grateful for having my own business; a loving wife; beautiful kids; grandparents to spoil those same kids; I am also grateful to Argentina.

Aparte de estar agradecido a mi familia y amigos; de tener mi propio negocio, una hermosa esposa, lindas nenas, abuelos para malcriar a esas nenas. También estoy agradecido de Argentina.

I have not run into much xenophobia here.

No he tenido mucha experiencia con xenofobia acá.

The country has allowed me to come here and stay (yes, after much bureaucracy, but still finally made it).

El país me ha dejado entrar y quedar. (claro, después de mucha burocracia, pero finalmente todo bien).

I am not treated like a secondhand citizen.

No me tratan como un ciudadano de segunda mano.

I can complain about the government all I want and I don't feel like I would be pepper sprayed for it.

Siento que me puedo quejar del gobierno sin que me rocíen con pepper spray.

And then I see my own country from afar and I can't help but feel a little sad over her. In some ways she could learn a little from Argentina. The world is not black or white, but full of complicated shades. Yes, the USA does need to look a little beyond it's borders and not in a condescending way, but in a curious way. Yes, Argentina can do a better job, but she does some things right already.

Y despues miro mi propio país y me siento un poco triste por ella. En unas cosas puede aprender de Argentina. El mundo no esta divido entre lo que es negro y blanco; esta lleno de todos los colores mezclados.  Mi país debería mirar hacia afuera no en una forma condescendiente pero con curiosidad.

How do other countries deal with immigration, healthcare, civil rights, etc. We clearly are not the leaders in those areas anymore. We should look around and ask questions.

Como los otros países manejan el tema de inmigración, cuidado de salud, derechos civiles, etc. Claramente no somos lideres en esas áreas. Deberíamos mirar y hacer preguntas.



No comments: