Translate

Saturday, July 21, 2007

7 Random Things

Pip just hit me with a meme in which I am to write 7 random things about myself. This is the first time I do one of these so if I commit some sort of meme faux pax then it's just too bad.

1. I used to be in a garage band. I played bass and we actually played at a party. We did mostly covers of the Clash, Black Flag, Naked Raygun, etc. I didn't have any formal lessons. I just picked up the bass and started to hammer at it. Our guitar player, who along with out drummer, where the only real musicians in the group. I have to say though that we weren't so bad. Of course I am biased and I loved the attention I got from women as a result of playing at that party. To bad I had my girlfriend with me. Hey what do you want? I was like 20 years old.

2. I was a UPS driver. Yep, I had the brown uniform and drove the little brown vans and the bigger brown trucks as well. I never thought that women would be attracted to a brown uniform. My stint at that job proved me wrong. Secretaries and UPS guys, they just go together like PB&J.

3. I used to love to go out dancing. Yeah, we never called it that. We would always go out to the bar and drink and try to pick up women. But, we spent a lot of time on the dance floor and it also helped being able to dance. Heck, I met my current wife in those circumstances, but at a different club. The place I always went to was The Smart Bar on Clark Street. It has changed since my days. It used to be kind of grungy. The dance floor would have sawdust even. You could pick out the drunks a mile away since they were the ones with sawdust all over them from falling on the dance floor. Together with Metro upstairs, they just celebrated 25 years. I got a call at 1:30am from my friends that night. I wish I could have been there to see them all again.

Okay, I just realized that the underlying theme here so far has been women. I guess it has to do with what was most on my mind during my youth. I guess I should pick something from a different time period just to shake things up a bit.

4. I used to own a motorcycle. It was not a crotch rocket. It was an old Kawasaki and it was similar looking to this but old. Obviously I did not stray to far from the underlying theme on this one. I will do better on the next one. I promise.

5. I am actually quite shy. Always have been. This comes as a surprise to many people who have met me. Mostly in the States (surprised that is) since over here I think my shyness comes out a bit more due to the added difficulty in communicating in my second language. This also surprises people because I have worked in sales and have been pretty good at it also.

6. I can´t really bake. I can follow directions but the talent behind the cookies, cakes and what not is my wife, not me. I can grill pretty damn good though.

7. I studied Tae Kwon Do when I was little. I grew up in the west side of Chicago and sometimes we were the only non-black family in an all black neighborhood. My dad would always work two full time jobs, always trying to get his family out into nicer neighborhoods and better schools. Which, is something he ultimately managed to accomplish. I obviously fought quite a bit and I think it was my dad´s idea for me and my little brother to take those lessons. I can´t quite remember though. I will have to ask the old man to see if he remembers whose idea it was. Anyway, it sure helped because once you beat someone up decidedly there are not too many kids that want to try a hand at you. However, I never really liked fighting. Even when I won. I did like the science of it though. Throwing a punch or a kick just so. Blocking and countering was fantastic. Later in life, in my 20´s I took up Karate. Nothing formal. My best friend was a black belt and he would give me lessons on the weekend. I think he really enjoyed beating the hell out of me every weekend. However, he was a good teacher and he showed me very little mercy. Thanks Scott! I will just wait until he is 70 and then trip him down the stairs. I would like to see his black belt save him then. (just joking people)

Well there you have it, seven random little things about me.

5 comments:

Diva said...

wow, I never thought that you cannot bake. That´s very dark secret that you have.

Unknown said...

Dark secrets? Was I supposed to write 7 dark secrets? Oops.

Well I guess my dark secrets remain dark for now. I guess it was the random in the title that threw me off.

COOKIE MONSTER said...

MY UNDERLYING THEME WOULD BE COOKIES!

nathan said...

dark chocolate secret. that'd make an awesome cookie name...

Unknown said...

Nathan,

You´re right. Thanks!